Project "Food and Work"
Saharawi refugee camps, Algeria.
Africa 70 Movement
OTHER PROJECT RESPONSIBLE:
Ministry of Public Health and Ministry of Development of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic.
Italian region of Emilia-Romagna, Anci Toscana, UNIMI-Icans, NEXUS ER, Associazione Salam and SIVtro VSF Italia.
Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS).
36 months, from 20 March 2017 to 19 March 2020
PROJECT AIM AND DESCRIPTION:
The main objective of the project is to “contribute to the improvement of the nutritional status of Sahrawi refugees” and it will be pursued through three specific objectives:
- Enrichment and diversification of nutritional needs of the refugees
- Strengthening of local institutions in charge of food production (Ministerio de Desarrollo Economico; Ministerio de Salud Publica through its Directorate of Veterinary Medicine and Ministerio de Cooperacion in the role of institution responsible for the harmonization of external cooperation interventions)
- Strengthening of women’s cooperatives for the production, preservation and marketing of food products.
ACTIVITIES OF VSF ITALIA IN 2018:
- Development of a supply chain study on camel milk
- Creation of a training mission for the managers of the poultry farm of N’jeila through the contracting of an expert in poultry production; the training was carried out remotely on a regular basis throughout the year.
- Implementation of a mission by two agronomists of the University of Milan with the aim of developing an integrated biological batch strategy to be presented to the counterpart Ministry of Economic Development at the end of the project.